Sunday 27 July 2014

Lobster Birthday Card

This birthday card was made for my little brother - he loves fish and anything to do with the sea so I thought this card would be great for him (I also thought he'd enjoy the daft joke!). I started out with a kraft notecard from Hobbycraft. The striped patterned paper in the background is from Crate Paper. I stamped ink splotches using an old Kaisercraft stamp set and clear emobossed them using Versamark ink and Papermania clear embossing powder, for a distressed effect. I tore one edge to create a sea foam effect next to the seablue paper. The wood effect paper is from the Crate Paper DIY Shop collection. I cut several pieces and distressed the edges with my Stampin' Up distress tool - I hoped to create the look of driftwood you might find on the beach. The wave effect on the right edge of the card was created using my Cricut Explore and the First Few Years. It was cut from blue and cream solid smooth cardstock from Papermania. The lobster was also cut on the Cricut, this time from the Brooklyn Iron-on cartridge. I matted and layered cream and yellow polka-dot scraps from my stash and adhered the lobster over the top. I only applied glue to the centre of the lobster, allowing the pincers and tendrils to move freely, creating texture and dimension. I stamped the sentiment with Dovecraft mini alphabet stamps and Stampin' Up Pacific Point and Early Espresso inks - I love how inexpensive these mini stamp sets are but they're a bit fiddly and I managed to smudge a couple of letters. As luck would have it, I really liked how this turned out, even stamping a few letters back-to-front, inkeeping with the distressed overall look of the card.

lobster card

There isn't much to show you on the inside, just some more stamping and that great Crate Paper wood effect patterned paper - but I couldn't tell you half the joke and leave you without the punchline now could I ? :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment